The blouse is done! (Most likely) This statement is less due to the blouse’s being finished than it is to my bad habit of getting sick of a project when it is 99.9% finished and then just ending it, but oh well… I was thinking of putting darts in the front and taking in the sides a bit to give it some more shape, but my sewing machine went a little berzerk on me this morning and I’m afraid to keep messing with this dumb thing.
Here are a few things I learned from the process:
- I didn’t use a pattern for this. I had this mass rayon from somewhere and have always thought it was cool and would make a nice top, and the other day I started pinning it up and draping it around me and then repinning… and this shirt was born. For real. I really seriously did that. I should have drawn up plans and a pattern. Next time, I will do that- even if it’s a simple one.
- Rayon is a very forgiving material to work with. The crinkly texture of this piece and the weight and floppinness hide a lot. I think I’m going to try to use it more and learn how to handle it better.
- I need a serger.
- I initially intended this to mask my belly fat. I thought the swingy bottom edge, busy neckline and fabric texture would cover for the stomach, but the opposite is true. I may one day bring the sides in or something to shape it a little more, because I look like I’m carrying the next set of octuplets when I turn sideways in this thing. But not today.