I made some house shoes from Angry Chicken:
and there they are. I’m so happy.
In my ongoing efforts at learning to sew clothes, I try to keep an eye open for projects that will assist me in figuring out what the heck I’m doing. I found this a while back and thought it would be a good way to practice a few different techniques, but as it turns out, the little shoesies are also quite comfortable. Yay, that! It’s a really simple project which you can get here, and it requires less than a foot of cotton and some kind of duck cloth (I used linen) for the soles as well as a yard of fold over elastic. Start to finish, this took me about two and a half hours, maybe three. Since I tend to take twice as long on sewing projects as everyone else seems to, I would say a person could do this in an hour and a half.
From a construction standpoint, they’re relatively sturdy. I don’t have a serger, so these were all done on my little Janome sewing machine and all the materials are completely machine washable. It would be hard to mess up putting them together- for me the toughest part of the whole thing was putting the FOE (which I bought at a local fabric shop) on it. If you look at the green elastic in the photo below you can see how much trouble I had getting the stitches to stay in a straight line. The FOE kept slipping off of the cotton, so I had to cut the seam and go back a few inches every so often, but aside from being a little sloppy at a close up, it hasn’t really affected how they look, and it certainly has impacted the wear.
They’re like those little foot covers for clean rooms.
Actually, they also kind of look like sleeping bags for potatoes. Or maybe a couple caterpillars having an animated gossip session. Hee hee.
My little house shoes are being really snarky about a pair of flip flops on the kitchen floor. Ladies, please.